Sunday, June 22, 2008

Shopping in Japan (part 3 - more local hangouts)

(Part 3)

Whenever I travel, I always like to go to the places where the locals hang out. I like to see and feel the local environment. So, I am adding more places for travellers to hang around in Tokyo. Here you go.

Shimokitazawa (下北沢)

Similar to Sangenchaya (三軒茶屋), Shimokitazawa is a residential area but has recently been turned into a young people hang outs. Izakayas, restaurants, gadget shops, discounts stores, trendy fashion shops can all be found here in this little town. Many young people come here to buy the latest special edition sneakers, cheap hair accesssories etc.

I do not however recommend this place for those who do not have a "young" mind.

Futagotamagawa (二子玉川)

This area is considered Tokyo area but very close to Yokohama. There is the famous Japanese department store Takashimaya here and many other small shops. As with the other local hangouts that I have briefly explained, Futagotamagawa is also a residential place and local Japanese from around the Tokyo come here with their family on the weekends to enjoy the nice walk in this suburb.

No comments: